Monday, January 15, 2007

yard work continues


Again it has been a long time since I've posted it seems. I haven't done really anything around the house lately, but as the mild weather in SC has been continuing, I have been working in the yard.

With one additional dog now at the house, the yard is doing okay. I think my shrub border along the one fenceline will work very well, though one part I had planned to plant with annuals or perennials will definately have to be shrubs instead as the whole area is totally dug up from having dogs running in it. I have pretty much abandoned the idea of flowers along this fenceline except for in little bed I already dug in front of the telephone pole and maybe some containers. I also think that if I do add some shrubs to the area that is all torn up by the dogs, I will have to spend a little extra money at get at least 3 gallon plants so they will be big enough to make the dogs go around, not through, the plants.

My major problem recently has been that their is clover coming up through the mulch in my foundation plantings. It took me 2 days, but I got almost all of the clover dug out of the foundation beds, hopefully no additional clover will sprout up from any of the bulb things I may have missed. We shall see...

As far as bulbs go, our mild winter means that the paperwhites have already come up not only in pots but also under the tree. Most of the bulbs that sent up foliage under the tree have now bloomed and so have most of the bulbs in the pot up on the porch. The bulbs in the pot in the bed are just beginning to bloom. The white pot has some sort of foliage that came up quite a while ago, but no blooms. I think this might be muscari???

I am continuing to have problems with the dogs running into the small pieris. I have been using a lawn chair to protect it on one side but today hit on the idea of using two containers, one on each side of the plant. So, it was off the nurseries today to look for plants. I got some really pretty snapdragons with burgandy foliage, who cares if they even bloom, just the foliage looks great! I also got a licorice plant, with really pretty silver foliage and an English thyme, also with some lovely foliage. I picked up another rosemary at Home Depot and it was very fragrant. At some point I also bought an upright vinca plant. I topped all this off with a few more pansies. I ended up planting 3 snapdragons and the licorice plant in one container and the thyme, rosemary and vinca in another pot. The remaining snapdragon and all the pansies when into the little annual bed in front of the telephone pole. I have a trailing vinca that I bought for the pots, but ran out of room for (guess I could always buy another pot and some more pansies...) so it is hanging out in its container in the annual bed for right now. Home Depot also had some creeping phlox out that was even starting to bloom. I got a really pretty kind of light purple and white one that I am planning on planting on the side of the house by the gas meter.

I did not get my new camellia planted today as I battled sinus pressure headaches off and on all day and just didn't feel up to all the work of digging. Maybe on Wednesday I can get these few other plants dug in.

After several days in the low 70s we are supposed to be going back down to highs in the 50s this week. So, Wednesday AM may or may not be good weather to garden in. I just can't stand being out there when it is only in the 30s.

No comments: