Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Water Heater Trauma

Well, today did not get off on a great start as I found out that my water heater indeed does not work. So, it was off to Home Depot for a new water heater, and my neighbor's workmen (including my next door neighbor) will be able to install the new water heater outside.

I also got a vanity for the bathroom that they will install tomorrow. I'm probably paying a little more than I need to to install the vanity, which should be a do it yourself project, but I'm exhausted, and mom has to work tomorrow and sometimes you just need to take the easy way out.

I continued working on stripping the one front window today, and have decided I will not try to get it back to bare wood to stain. I basically have all the paint off the outside, so I guess I'll let it dry a bit from the stripper, then prime it and hopefully paint it in the next few weeks (still need to strip the other front window and prime the rest of the windows).

I did test windows today and the kitchen and laundry room windows open, so they will just need to be primed and painted from the outside.

The two front windows and the laundry room windows need new putty, so I'll check for that at Sherwin Williams.

Both my neighbor and the workman Mr Johnson (who also grew up in the area) LOVED the historic wavy glass windows and are big fans of old houses and buildings. They were both still upset about a train depot that was demolished and said that our town has focused too much on historic HOUSES and allowed other historic buildings to be torn down.

Next time I'm at Barnes & Noble I'm going to pick up a copy of American Bungalow for my neighbors.

The big surprise of the day came when I saw my trash being picked up. I thought trash day was Thursday, which it is. Talking to the trash men, it turns out my across the street neighbor (got to remember his name!) had told the trash people to come pick up my trash. Can't beat that for a neighbor.

I spent the evening working a little in the yard trying to pick up the trash and debris in the yard and get some of the broken glass up. Still have all the plastic out by the AC unit, but I'll tackle that next week...

In the process, of trying to clean up the broken glass out by the side door, I discovered that I have a little brick walkway leading up to the door. I'm not sure how long it is, but I've uncovered 6 rows of bricks so far. I also seem to have quite a weed problem in that area, but also really good looking soil.

I am considering planting one of my shrubs next to the door, but there is something growing up that looks to me like it might be bulbs?? So, I'll wait until that is identified.

I did find out that the big tree in my back yard is a pecan tree. I think I've already found some of the pecans. So, I've got chestnuts from my neighbor's tree falling in my yard and pecans from my own tree. I think "nut patrol" will be a seasonal part of my gardening.

Also did a little work stripping wallpaper when I was bagging up what we had stripped off to leave out for the garbagemen.

Long, pretty stressful day today... I did get a few pictures but the camera is back at the house.

No comments: