Saturday, September 30, 2006

The appliances arrive

Today was the day that James was supposed to come back and install the new outside box, which should give me both hot water and AC. James was working over at George's house all day and came over after 7 to tell us he would finish the job on Monday. As we are not currently living in the house, this works. James will also now run a water line for the ice maker in the fridge and run hot and cold water lines for my washer (more on this below...).

Today began with only one goal: paint the laundry room BEFORE Jeff Lynch arrived with the appliances. We didn't really get started painting until about noon, taping off took longer and actually used more tape that I had expected. Oops. When we got ready to paint, we discovered that somehow the paint roller we had bought at Home Depot the other day had not ended up at our house, so it was off to Lowes quick to buy a new roller.

We did the one coat of paint on and realized that it would have been best if we had primed the walls first, as the strange wallboard in there did not paint super smoothly. We will try to fill in with a second coat in some areas tomorrow.

My appliances did finally arrive, along with two really nice delivery guys. Of course, there were problems... One of the bins fell out of the fridge while it was being rolled in to the house and cracked (we will pick a new one up on Monday at the store) and that wasn't a big deal. But, no washer hookup yet, as the drain is there but the hot and cold water pipes must have been stolen, and guess what... the sellers' work crew didn't replace them. So, those would need to be replaced. The dryer woudn't have been a problem, except to stretch to the outlet, we need an 8 foot cord and Jeff Lynch, Home Depot and Lowes only carry 4 & 6 foot cords. There is a place that carries 8 foot cords, but they aren't open on Saturday. So, currently I'm 0-2 on appliances. I had prepaid to have Jeff Lynch tap my water line to run a line in for the icemaker in my fridge. But, they can only tap copper and all the pipe under my house is now CPVC. Need to get a plumber to do that (James can fix both that and the hot and cold water to the washer and add it to my ever growing bill...). So, the fridge DOES work, just not the icemaker and water dispenser. It does have a filter on the water part, which I hadn't even noticed before, but that is nice.


Freshly painted laundry room with washer & dryer awaiting help to work.

I had been so depressed earlier in the day that we called our friend Audrie to come over, just to get someone else to look at the house. She and her sister Terri arrived and both liked the house and really liked our big kitchen and bedrooms. They both said they were surprised at how nice it was for what we paid for it and that all we really had was cosmetic changes (well and our major plumbing and electrical issues...). Terri also helped me identify some plants in the yard. I have poison ivy on one tree and also behind the shack in the back. Need to get Roundup to take care of it. I also have honeysuckle choking my nandina by the front porch. Terri showed me how to remove it and said to try to trace the honeysuckle back to its source. Also, most of the trees on the left side of the house are some sort of junk tree so I can whack on them freely and should pull out some of the smaller ones, but leave others to provide a privacy screen.

Then, I made the mistake of trying to get the front door deadbolt and lock on. What a disaster. Luckily Terri saved the day and we know have new locks on front and side door. Don't know why the front door has been such a production when the side door was so easy...

After getting so upset trying to deal with the locks, I went outside to take out my aggression on the honeysuckle choking the nandina. After a while of work, the nandina looks much better and most of the honeysuckle is cut back to a few inches above the ground. I will go look at it again in a few weeks. I also took most of the branches off the little junk tree next to the nandina and will remove that tree when I have some help.
This nandina is much happier now.


I then went back into what I think of as "the tunnel" and cut down a few of the lowest hanging limbs in there to open it up just a little bit. Also cut back some limbs on a few of the junk trees by the AC unit and water heater. Finally removed all the branches from another little tree volunteer that I want to remove completely. I plan to plant the flying dragon in its place. Found gardening to be theraputic. Terri did say not to do any digging as I don't know what I might disturb. Looks like I have flag irises coming up by the side door. I do know along one fence it looks like it might have been a bed at one point so I won't dig there, but I want to plant the beautyberries at either end along that fenceline. Hopefully I won't get into anything good doing that. Still can't figure out where to put the rose of Sharon, the camellia and the hydranga. Yes, I am thinking I overbought right now. Oops. And, no pickup truck so I still can't go get the stuff. Hum... problems problems.

The tunnel... you can see the new AC on the left and some of the construction debris from the AC and water heater installations.

We were packing up to leave for the day when James came over to tell us he would come and finish the work on Monday.

Tomorrow we will go back and prime mom's room. She got the rest of the wallpaper off and spackled it all today. Also might try giving the laundry room a second coat of paint. I am also thinking of trying to add two little pieces of the bead board, some baseboard and chair rail to make the area where the water heater used to be look like the rest of the kitchen. That would involve buying a handsaw and a miter box and trying to make miter cuts. I may want to buy a piece of scrap trim too to practice on... We'll see how brave I feel tomorrow.


Can I fix this corner up with baseboard and wainscotting, or will I just paint it?????

No comments: