Friday, September 29, 2006

Things Get Worse...

Old, dead water heater. This had been in the kitchen and leaked on the wall and floor.

The day didn't start out half bad, did start out at Home Depot, which is no surprise. Got the foamular (pinkboard) for the water heater house and got a very nice (and kind of cute) guy to cut it roughly to size for me so that it fit in my car. I also know have enough pinkboard the insulate my attic pop up door.

The water heater got installed up on its little concrete blocks, with its CPVC pipes coming out if it. They did find a small leak initially, but fixed it and retested and all was well. Then the water heater got wrapped in its blanket and all the pipes got wrapped.

Sometime after this, James and Norman (the workmen- Norman is my neighbor) decided to break for lunch and mom and I went to K-Mart to try to find cheap shoes to paint in. The original plan for the day had been to paint the laundry room and start painting the kitchen.

On the way back home, we were swinging by Home Depot to pick up some plywood to put down as subfloor where the water heater had been in the kitchen and called to see if they needed anything else and discovered that Bobbie had dropped by to help me paint. ARGHHH!!!!! Did see the same cute guy from this AM and he remember me. Probably either married or 10 years younger than me!

I mostly managed to avoid any negativity from Bobbie but she was at my mom again that we should have bought one of the new slapped together builder homes (not seeming to grasp that 1) they are crap and 2) they cost MINIMUM $100 more per month in rent payment than my house).

At some point during the afternoon Duke Energy showed up to turn on my yard light. Of course, there was something wrong with it. In this case, it was just a fixture up there, no bulb and no cover. Luckily the guy on the truck had a bulb, just no cover, so he did get the light working. He also had to cut the branchs of Norman's chestnut tree that had over grown the line, so I now have a large amout of yard waste to be picked up by the trash collectors.


Water heater house


Building the house for the water heater took most of the afternoon and during this time I stripped some more on my window and I can't even remember what else I did. I did test the water and had no hot water after about 1 hour of being hooked up. Again after about 2 hours, no hot water. During this time I did successfully install the lock set on my back door, looks great and works great too!

At 3 hours and no hot water, they went to check.

DISASTER

What they found:

1) The wire that had been leading to the old hot water heater, which the hooked up to the new hot water heater, was not a current hot wire.

2) The wire that was supposed to run to the hot water heater had been stolen along with the copper pipe probably (wire was not there).

3) The junction box that the hot water heater wire had been in was now being used for the AC wiring.

4) The inside being used as an outside box (knew about this from the inspection) does not have enough room in it to add another breaker for the hot water heater.

So, it is either choose between hot water or heat and air... or pay to have it repaired.

During this time I also was attempting to install the front door lock (identical to the back door lock) on the front door (identical to the back door) and having NO LUCK. Finally got the old front deadbolt back in and will fight that battle again tomorrow.

So, on deck for tomorrow for James and Norman:

1) Running new wire from my water heater to the outside box
2) Replacing the outside box
3) Fixing the non-working outlet in the kitchen (also knew about this from the home inspection)

Hopefully they will be able to put in the plywood subfloor in the little area in the kitchen and maybe even stick down the vinyl tiles I bought for the area.

Adding to the fun, tomorrow Jeff Lynch will deliver my washer, dryer and fridge. I also prepaid to have Jeff Lynch's person put in a little water line from my main water line up through the kitchen floor for the icemaker on my fridge. God I hope the water for the washer works, if it doesn't then I guess I will just have a dryer and have to wash my clothes at the laudramat until I can afford plumbing repairs.

Guess I will also be painting the laundry room AROUND the washer and dryer, as that was on our to do list today and most definately did NOT get done. Other tasks we did not get done include calling the trash and water to get them switched over into our names, so hope the water doesn't get turned off.

Today I am really regretting purchasing my house.

No comments: